One complaint I hear all the time as a coach is, "I have no energy." I understand how hard to can be to maintain energy as an adult. We have an endless number of tasks on our to do list, and not enough hours in the day. It may not even feel possible to have natural energy anymore when we, as a society, rely so heavily on caffeine and other stimulants to make it through our busy days.
But it is possible. Think of how it felt to wake up in the morning as a kid. You would leap out of bed, ready to take on the day and you didn't want to slow down until way past bedtime. We may not realize it, but that energy is still inside of us. Unfortunately I can't turn back the clock, but I can suggest adding elements from our childhood that helped us have an abundance of energy and excitement in our life. These 5 easy tips will not only re-energize you, but also boost your mood and productivity throughout the day!
5 Tips for Youthful Energy
1) Don’t sleep in! Even though you may be tempted to sleep until 11:00am on a Saturday morning, it will do you more harm then good. Going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day creates a natural sleep rhythm that your body craves.
2) Get outside every day. Even a short burst of vitamin D will energize you and help invigorate you.
3) Eat seasonal whole food. Although the season of farmers markets is over, you can still get great produce from your local grocery store. Make sure to look for foods that are in season in the fall/winter. We recommend squash and sweet potatoes!
4) Incorporate play into your daily activities. Just because we have to go grocery shopping or do the laundry doesn’t mean it has to be boring! Listen to music, dance around, and smile at everyone you meet. Bringing a positive attitude to your chores will make them much more pleasurable.
5) Laugh, laugh, and laugh some more. Life is too short to hold grudges, feel guilt, or stay angry. So laugh it out, you will feel immediately better!